Nursing Program Admissions Requirements
The R.N. to B.S. degree in Nursing program facilitates the immediate and lifelong professional development needs of registered nurses who hold an Associate degree in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing and have a current, active license as a Registered Nurse. The program focuses on the development of the professional nursing role in three primary areas: practitioner, scientist, and leader. Students work with faculty to assess, implement, and evaluate a professional development plan to improve critical thinking; clinical reasoning; oral and written communication; comprehension of published research; and knowledgeable and skillful participation in organizational, community, and global health issues. The program builds a foundation for graduate study. This program is not an Open Enrollment program and the following admissions requirements must be met prior to admission.
The R.N. to B.S. in Nursing program at American Public University System is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 887-6791.
Washington State residents and RN holders: The R.N. to B.S. in Nursing program is currently under review by the Washington State Nursing Commission. Once APUS receives approval from this Board, this program will be open to Washington based residents.
Note: Courses in this program are only open to students admitted to the program. These courses will not be available as electives in another program or for non-degree seeking students.
- Associate Degree in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing
- Unrestricted Registered Nursing license
- Verification of Employment in clinical nursing practice
- Apply for Admission
- Complete the online orientation
- Complete the TCE application and pay the $50 fee*
- An Admissions Representative will be assigned to work with you and will contact you via email or phone to assist you with the enrollment process. Your Admissions Representative will also be reviewing documents verifying your Nursing License and Employment status and will notify you when you have been admitted and can register for classes
*TCE fee waived for all United States Active Duty Military, Guard, and Reserve personnel.
122 total semester hours comprised of:
- Institutional Requirement: 3 semester hours (COLL 100)
- Major Requirement: 25 semester hours (Block transfer of Associate Degree)
Students can fulfill the 22 credit hours requirement by having an Associate degree in Nursing and a current, active Registered Nursing license. Students also have the potential to transfer in a maximum of 91 credit hours towards the completion of the B.S. in Nursing through a course-by-course evaluation of existing credit.
- General Education Requirement: 38 semester hours
- Core Requirement: 32 semester hours
- General Electives Requirement: 21 semester hours
- Final Program Requirement: 3 semester hours
Our admissions staff is available Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. and Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET to answer your questions and provide assistance with the admissions process. You can reach us by phone at 877-777-9081, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or connect with us via Live Chat.