Skip Navigation

Graduate Students


Master's Degree

Master’s degrees are a good choice if you want a more in-depth study of your undergraduate degree or to pursue new academic study in another field. To earn a master’s, you’ll need to complete 12-15 courses with a final comprehensive examination, thesis, or capstone/applied research project at the end of all coursework.

Graduate Certificate

Our graduate certificates are designed to focus your study on a particular topic or set of issues. Most certificates are 6 classes and are ideal if you already possess a bachelor’s or master’s degree and seek specific knowledge in a subject area.

View our Graduate Studies page for more details on degrees and certificates.

Admissions Requirements

All graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). To apply to a graduate-level program, please submit the following:

  1. An application for admission.
  2. An official transcript showing conferral of a bachelor's degree or higher from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by CHEA. You may register for your first course after proof of a conferred bachelor's degree or higher is received and the conferral date and accreditation are confirmed. See below for mailing information.If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please view our International Admissions page for more information.

You may submit an unofficial copy of your transcript to your admissions representative to expedite registration. The unofficial copy must show your name, name of school, the conferral date, and must be sent in PDF format. It cannot be a non-U.S. transcript. You are still responsible for sending an official transcript to the Document Services address below, and will be blocked from further registration if it is not received within 15 weeks of your first course start.

Note: While these are the admission requirements for most of our graduate programs, there are some exceptions. View the complete list of programs that have additional admission requirements to see if your program of interest is on the list.

Transfer Credit

If you earned graduate-level credit within the last 10 years and want to have it evaluated for transfer, you will also need to submit official transcripts with our Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) application.

APUS will also consider professional military education and specific civilian, corporate, and government training evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) for graduate credit. Graduate credits must have been earned within the last 10 years.

Note: Graduate students may transfer a maximum of 15 credit hours into master's programs. Graduate students enrolled in a dual graduate degree may transfer a maximum of 9 credit hours and no courses may transfer into the core section.

Please refer to the TCE Center for complete details about transfer credits.

Mail Transcripts and Documents to:

American Public University System
Attn: Document Services
10110 Battleview Parkway, Suite 114
Manassas, VA 20109

Institutions that use Escript-Safe, Parchment, or send official electronic transcripts directly from the registrar can send those transcripts to: Transcripts emailed or faxed from students will not be considered official.


American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military. American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). © 2016 American Public University System | 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 1-877-755-2787 | Privacy Policy | Terms