The undergraduate certificate in Security Management focuses on the principles and theories associated with various types of security, from physical security to security administration that focuses on the protection of assets. Many organizations need experienced security managers, security guards, and security officers to protect businesses' assets and to proactively prevent internal or external attacks. Field work in the areas of executive protection and recovery, trade secret protection, background investigations, surveillance, IT security, and cybersecurity are but a few choices available in the security management field.
The curriculum for this online undergraduate certificate is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Principles and theories of security issues
- Security management’s legal and ethical issues
- Industry standards, practices, and evaluation
- Contemporary issues of security management
- Security administration and organization
- Procedures for conducting physical security evaluations
- Physical security and protection of assets
This online certificate is intended for undergraduate students who want to expand their knowledge of security management without committing to a degree program. View all courses.
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic terms in security management and its theories.
- Assess management theories and apply concepts of planning, resources, and authority to security organizations.
- Identify and discuss the major aspects of physical security, associated threats, and application of countermeasures.
- Explain the basic procedures and rules of personnel security and the specialized terms associated with information security.
- Draw conclusions about the role a security leadership has in establishing the foundation of private security programs.
- Establish how security managers test and align functional performance or their security organization incorporating legal issues and ensuring ethical approaches.
- Evaluate and use a methodology of quality assurance, including the merits of a performance-based standards approach towards total asset protection.
- Draw conclusions about a value-added contribution in the world of tangible and intangible assets.
- Detect how corporate security managers can effectively communicate strategic security issues and actions to other business departments and managers.
- All undergraduate programs require a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED).
- New undergraduate students may be asked to complete our College Readiness Assessment (ADMN100). If you have successfully completed 9 or more hours of college credit, you may reach out to your admission representative to inquire about waiving this requirement.
- If you have previous college experience, you will be asked to submit your transcripts from previous schools where you earned academic credit.
- There is no fee to complete our admission application. View steps to apply.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military-Affiliated Students* = $250/credit hour
All Other Students = $270/credit hour
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans that caps undergraduate tuition at the military TA limit. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
As an accredited university, we accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Undergraduate Book Grant
Ebooks are provided at no cost if you are enrolled in undergraduate courses for credit. The undergraduate book grant is estimated to save $500 per academic semester if you are registered as a full-time student.
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.